Recipe dish from Beach Rotana, Abu Dhabi
Prep time: 30 mins
Cooking time: 20-30 mins
18 whole scallops in the shell
30g butter, unsalted
1 whole shallot, peeled and thinly sliced
sea salt to taste
4 leeks, cut into strips lengthwise
oil for deep frying
50g rice noodles
1 tsp south indian curry powder
50ml black truffle oil
50ml olive oil
How to cook Roasted scallops with curry powder vinaigrette:
1. Using a small knife, open scallop shells and prise away the white flesh, ensuring you cut the side muscle that attaches the scallop to the shell. Also remove the orange roe, if it's not to your taste. Wash scallops under cold running water, place on a clean tea towel and gently dab off excess moisture, then refrigerate.
2. Melt butter in a heavy-bottomed saucepan, add shallot and a pinch of salt. Add leeks and cook over low heat for 10 minutes until soft. Take pan off the heat.
3. In a separate deep pan, heat oil and deep fry rice noodles. Transfer noodles on to absorbent paper. Season with salt.
4. For the vinaigrette, mix together salt, curry powder, vinegar and black truffle oil.
5. Oil a heated griddle. Remove scallops from fridge and sear on both sides, over high heat until golden brown. D not overcook as they will become rubbery.
6. To serve, arrange scallops on a plate, drizzle with vinaigrette. Place crispy noodles and butter-glazed leeks on the side.