Here's an easy budget friendly dessert recipe for all - Leche Flan.
A good friend gave us 3 llaneras of Lecha Flan last New Year's day, a very nice gift for my brother who's been craving for it on the New Year's eve.
Here's a recipe I found online courtesy of hubpages.
Ingredients: (makes 4-5 llanera of Leche Flan)
12 egg yolks
2 cans condensed milk (14 oz.)
5 cans small evaporated milk
2 cups fine white sugar
2 tablespoon vanilla
In a stainless steel pan, dissolve 3/4 cups of sugar, add 1/4 cup water over medium heat, do not stir, just swirl the pan gently, caramelize in low heat if you don't want it burnt.
How to make the Custard:
1. In a mixing bowl, beat all the egg yolks then add condensed milk, evaporated milk, sugar and vanilla. Use a whisk to mix thoroughly but gently to prevent bubbles from forming. Remove any solids by using a strainer.
2. Pour the mixture in the llanera and cover it with an aluminum foil, so that the moisture from the steam won't come in the pan as it will become watery.
3. Steam Cook for 40-45 minutes, or until knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
4. Remove the llanera and let it cool at room temperature. Then refrigerate for several hours before serving.
5. To unmold the leche flan- run a sharp knife around the edge and carefully invert it unto a platter or serving dish, let the caramelized sugar flow over the leche flan.