Yesterday I tried to help mom and our househelper make a yummy homemade biko - a Filipino rice cake served during special occasions. So here goes the cooking process :)
1 k malagkit rice (glutinous rice)
1/4 cup brown sugar
3 cups coconut milk
|caramelized brown sugar|
|cooked malagkit (glutinous) rice|
Malagkit rice mixed with caramelized brown sugar
1. Cook the malagkit rice in a rice cooker
2. In a frying pan over low heat fire, cook the coconut milk with continuous stirring until thick and forms what is called the latik. Set is aside the latik and leave the oil from the coconut milk.
3. Add 1/2 kilo of brown sugar and stir continuously until it caramelized (still over low heat fire).
4. Add the cooked malagkit rice over the caramelized sugar and mix.
5. Add the latik over the biko rice cake and set aside some for toppings
|Homemade Biko Rice Cake|
This by far my friends is the cheapest and easiest process in making a homemade biko, I mean with just 3 ingredients you can have a great afternoon merienda/dessert treat to share with your family and friends!